Sunday 24 June 2012

Personal pronouns, direct-indirect object


In Greek the direct and indirect pronoun are not the same like in English. 
For example in English we say : I met him and I talked to him.
Both direct and indirect object are the same. If you translate the same sentence to Greek:
Τον συνάντησα και του μίλησα
Here the “Τον is the direct object and the του is the indirect. I will give you a second example to understand it better:
Σε ικετεύω μην το κάνεις! - I beg you don’t do it!  Whom do I beg? -> you.
Σου έφερα φαγητό να φας.- I brought you food to eat. To whom I brought? ->to you

Direct object:
Indirect Object:
Με (me)MeΜου (Mou)Mine
Σε  (se)YouΣου (sou)Yours
Τον (ton)HimΤου (tou)His
Την (teen)HerΤης(ths)Hers
Το (to)ItΤου (tou)Its
Μας (mas)UsΜας (mas)Ours
Σας (sas)YouΣας (sas)Yours
Τους (tous)Them (masculine)Τους (tous)Their
Τις(tees)Them (female)

Τα (ta)Them (neuter)

More examples:
Direct object:
What’s your name = πως σε λένε?
Πως με λένε; Σε λένε Αντώνη. = What’s my name? Your name is Andonis.
Πως σε λένε; Με λένε Δάρειο. = What’s your name? My name is Dareios.
Πως τον λένε; Τον λένε Μανόλη. = What’s his name? His name is Manolis
Πως την λένε; Την λένε Βίκυ. = What’s her name? Her name is Viki.
Πως το λένε το σκυλί; Το λένε Έκτώρα. = What’s the name of the dog? His name is Ektoras.
Πως μας λένε; Σας λένε Μαρία και Θανάση. = What’s our name? Our name is Maria and Thanasis
Πως σας λένε; Μας  με) λένε Μαρίνα. = What’s your name? Our (or my) name is Marina.
Πως τους λένε; Τους λένε Μαρία και Θανάση. = What’s their name? Their names are Meria and Thanasis.
Πως τις λένε; Τις λένε Ελισάβετ και Δέσποινα. = What’s their name?(fem) Their names are Elesavet and Despoina.
Πως τα λένε τα παιδία σου; Τα λένε Δημήτρη και Σταύρο. = What are your children’s names? Their names are Demetris and Stauros.
Indirect Object:
Σου αρέσω; Ναι μου αρέσεις. = Do you like me? Yes I like you.
Του αρέσει αυτή; Δεν ξέρω για αυτήν, πάντως αυτός σίγουρα της αρέσει. = Does he like her? I don’t know about him but I she surely likes him.
Σας αρέσει το φαγητό; Ναι μας  μου) αρέσει. = Do you like the food? Yes we (or I) like it.
Τίνος είναι αυτό; Αυτό είναι δικό τους. = Whose is that? This is theirs.
Try to fill in this exercise:
1. _______είδα στην τηλεόραση.  (I saw her on TV)
2. Που είναι το καπέλο _______; (Where is my hat?)
3. Δεν _____ακούω καλά. (I can't hear you very well.)
4. Πήρες τα φάρμακα _____; (Have you taken your medication?0
5. Θα ___δω σε λίγο παιδιά. (I'll see you in a little while guys.)
6. Πως ____λένε; (What's his name?)

No comments: